By Laurel Beager
With Pres. Donald Trump’s abrupt shut down Wednesday of his Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, it’s time to focus on more serious issues involving this nation’s election system.
We agree with Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon who has said all along that a more serious threat is cyber attacks on the nation’s elections.
Trump established the commission just after his election, which he continues to claim was fraught with widespread fraud that resulted in Hillary Clinton receiving about 2.9 million more votes of the people than he did, while he won the majority of the Electoral College.
The commission demanded state voter registration information that Simon refused to turn over, saying it was illegal to provide some of the information, and voicing concern about how it might be used.
Now, it’s obvious he was correct in that decision. “I had serious doubts about the commission’s credibility and trustworthiness,” he said Wednesday.
We agree with Simon who said the “commission was a distraction, and it collapsed under the weight of the president’s false and irresponsible claim that millions of ineligible votes were cast in the last election.”
Instead, Simon has for the last year called for a refocus of the real threat to U.S. election integrity: cyber-intrusion from outside forces that want to disrupt our elections.
“There is overwhelming evidence that the risks of election-related cyberattacks are serious, verifiable, and growing,” he said.
So why did we spend the last year concerned about fixing something not broken? It’s now time to direct our energy and resources to combat the known threat.